Chicago Emerging Baptists

This site is intended to allow a forum for those in the NextGen Network of the Chicago Metro Baptist Assocition to continue their dialogue online and produce a resource for those interested in emerging topics.Please join in the conversation.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Harry Potter & Hermeneutics
Though I am not an aficionado of the Harry Potter series, I--like many who appreciate fiction and movies--were "roped in" by author J.K. Rowling's announcement that Dumbledore is gay. For those who espouse heterosexual (Biblical) convictions, this revelation comes as more of a disturbance. For me, it's just another reason not to get tied up in this series (the other being that, Harry Potter actor, Daniel Radcliffe, is now doing nude gigs on-stage). Call me a stick in the mud, I know.=+)
Anyway, John Mark Reynolds at the Scriptorium Daily blog puts his foot down on this authorial liberty that Rowling assumes. His basic point is that unless she writes a prequel, she is deposed as a queen of interpretation of this text; the text stands; Dumbledore is not gay. This post reminds me of principles that guide us in interpreting the Bible, and that hermeneutics is not only about me (or the author). Then again, i may be asked if I elevate the text above both author and reader. Not necessarily. That's a slightly different conversation (or perhaps we can take it up in the comments).
My point in posting this is that rules of language and interpretation are easily hijacked by the lusty, depraved human heart whether Christian or non-Christian, the Bible or Harry Potter. I identify with Ms. Rowling not as an author but as a human being fallen in God's image who is in need of redemption. I am tempted at times to interpret words or situations as I want to see them not necessarily as they are reflected in the Book. It is just amusing to see the world "clap" and/or "gasp" as Rowling makes this announcement, but it's not so amusing when image bearers take the same liberties with the Creator's Word.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home