Chicago Emerging Baptists

This site is intended to allow a forum for those in the NextGen Network of the Chicago Metro Baptist Assocition to continue their dialogue online and produce a resource for those interested in emerging topics.Please join in the conversation.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Books & Clutter
[Yes, this post title is a play on CT's Books & Culture.]
A homiletics professor of mine in grad school once told us: "There is a difference between a book collector and a library builder." I guess the difference is: library building is a means to an end; whereas, book collecting is an end to itself (though I'm sure those of the latter would dispute this statement).
As my library grows and as I make my family move all over the place, I have found it necessary to electronically keep track of my books or else these precious gems become just clutter for my wife. Recently, I discovered Library Thing, thanks to Christian blogger, Tim Challies, who uses and endorses it. Another resource for personal library organization is Collectorz. The most attractive difference between these seemingly good databases is price: LibraryThing is free (up to 200 books) and Book Collectorz is not. I decided for LibraryThing since after the 200 limit is reached, it only costs $10 a year (or $25 for a lifetime) and it is online. I believe Collectorz has some live or remote access options. I just don't want another program on my computer (does that disqualify me from being a bibliophile?). Also, LibraryThing has a special feature to network with others who share similar interests or titles (a take-it-or-leave-it imho). They also have features that allow you to tag your books certains ways, search and categorize according to the Dewey decimal system or in the Library of Congress. The crown jewel of programs like these is an ISBN scanner. Depending on what you prefer, you can go w/ the $15 USB plug-in option that LibraryThing offers or you can do the wireless $140 option that Collectorz offers. I like the idea of standing in front of my bookshelf and whipping out the books only long enough for a quick scan and then uploading them via a cable, but wanting to save the pennies, I can live with bringing stacks of books down closer to my "short-leashed" scanner. Either way, the effect is the same.
Then again, there are some "progressives" =+) like Andy Naselli, who virtually streamline a conversation and process like this by making a good case for growing an e-library and utilizing certain Bible software programs here. My good friend and local Chicago pastor, Oscar Leiva, would certainly agree with Andy. In fact, every time Oscar and I get on the subject, he always reminds me of the superiority of his program (Logos) over mine (Bible Works). Maybe someone can do Mac vs. PC parody for these Bible software programs; no doubt, it's out there, but I don't want to waste my time on YouTube. If anyone has other organizational tips or has found a good program, let us know.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger AJ Gibson said...

I personally like Collectorz. With a bar scanner you can enter your books quickly and like other software it downloads the book's info and photo automatically.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Andy Naselli said...

Check out Phil Gons's helpful blog post "Logos vs. BibleWorks: A Brief Comparison."

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home